“Send a Little Love”

There was a stretch of a few years when I was writing my memoir and also selling my handmade greeting cards in my Etsy shop. Etsy was founded in Brooklyn, NY in 2005 and defines itself on Etsy.com as “an e-commerce website focused on handmade or vintage items and craft supplies.” I named my shop, Custom Cards by Bonnie–my motto was, Send a Little Love.

My mother-in-law was the original family card gal. On birthdays, Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter and Christmas, cards arrived from Gram. She signed Love, Ma or Love, Gram or eventually Love, Great Gram, always followed by two little music notes. In the last couple of years of her life, I often made the cards for her. As you can imagine, Gram, I always called her Gram, loved to receive cards from all of us in the family. She would display them on the fireplace mantel and just about every other surface in her house! Cards were very important to Gram, and she was excited to learn about my shop– always encouraging me. When we visited, Gram and I would check out the newest cards in Custom Cards by Bonnie on my laptop.

We lived in Riverhead on Long Island for a few years. Our home was close to the post office where I frequently mailed out card orders. One of the postal workers, Mike, became a favorite customer of mine. He routinely asked me to make cards for his wife—Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, and her birthday. He ordered cards from himself, as well as from their little children. Mike always gave me quick, short hints of what he wanted. I loved customizing his cards.

It wasn’t long before I made the decision to close up the Etsy shop and focus on my memoir. Technically, Custom Cards by Bonnie is on a vacation! Maybe someday I’ll reopen it. If you follow this blog, you’ve seen a few of my cards. The goal of the shop, Send a Little Love, is similar to my dream that Young Love, An Adoptee’s Memoir will provide support and encouragement to others searching for family.

Here are photos of a couple of the cards I made for Mike at the post office and for my Etsy shop, Custom Cards by Bonnie.

From Mike’s son, and btw–Mike’s wife loves dragonflies!
Paper punched lace hearts–From Mike to his wife
Paper punched butterfly–“Thinking of You” Etsy card
Handmade card with Japanese Rice Paper for Etsy shop
Graduation Card on Etsy

Joan Spencer

12 months ago

Your cards are great! I have boxes of cards I have received over the years!

bonnieparsons8472

11 months ago

Thank you, Joan! It’s wonderful to know that you save your friends’ artwork! I always hope my cards get saved.

Ronald Parsons

12 months ago

Awesome!!

Thanks!

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 4:04 PM Young Love–An Adoptee’s Memoir wrote:

> bonnieparsons8472 posted: ” There was a stretch of a few years when I was > writing my memoir and also selling my handmade greeting cards in my Etsy > shop. Etsy was founded in Brooklyn, NY in 2005 and defines itself on > Etsy.com as “an e-commerce website focused on handmade or vintage ” >

bonnieparsons8472

12 months ago

Love, mom

lussyves

11 months ago

Magnifiques cartes Bonnie xx😊

Le mer. 31 juil. 2019 à 16:04, Young Love–An Adoptee’s Memoir a écrit :

bonnieparsons8472

11 months ago

Thank you, Yves and Lucie!! xxoo

“there is no one like YOU”

You’re Here–Welcome!

My name is Bonnie. My parents adopted me when I was 8 months old. I’ve written a memoir about my life and the difficult search for my original identity. After 35 years, I have my answers!
I hope my story is an inspiration for you or someone you know who is searching for their birth parents and family ancestry.

Which came first–the chicken or the egg? Or in my case–the book or the blog?

Good question!  The book came first. My blog has the same name as the book. Each blog post tells you something about me. By nature, a memoir is personal. My persistence to find answers to my identity and write a memoir was a soul-searching, personal journey. It’s sad at times, but often fun and joyful.

%d bloggers like this: